] Around Columbia: Flash Flood & the Green Valley Drive Bridge

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Flash Flood & the Green Valley Drive Bridge

Last Thursday and Friday the heavens opened up and we got a lot of rain in a short amount of time.  I was driving to work and the alert came on the radio warning of flash floods.  Later that afternoon , after I finished my last class around 3 p.m.,  I decided to take some pictures, and the pictures are a little more dramatic than what I had expected.  Although the rain had stopped the runoff was still considerable, kind of hilly around here, and the water was still rising. 

These pictures are of the area just east of Eastgate IGA of an old one lane bridge open only to local traffic on Green Valley Drive.  Here are the before pictures taken while the water was still up:

On the bridge facing south:


On the north side of the bridge facing north and East Broadway.


On the north side of the bridge facing south:

 




Here is what it looked like now that the water is down a week later:



A short movie.  The water is still swift and strong a week later:










Here are some pictures I took last winter of the same bridge:



 

No comments: