] Around Columbia: Mugs Up Drive-In: Three Generations Family Owned

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Mugs Up Drive-In: Three Generations Family Owned

A couple of weeks ago my mother had cravings for a chili dog from Mugs Up. Eventually my father had to drive in from Harrisburg and buy her a meal and it remains one of her favorite places to eat out. I should also mention that my father worked on the metal structure of this building at Riback Industries (a new defunct metal fabrication business) as one of that businesses first commissions. I started remembering my own trips there through the years and especially my fondness for my own personal favorite - their famous Zip Burger (a "crumbly hamburger" of a style that has unfortunately lost popularity). I decided it was time to do a story about this Columbia institution.

I expected to do a story about an establishment that was fighting to keep going within a dodgy economy, struggling to keep reliable employees, and one that had gone through several owners. I was wrong on all counts. What I did find out surprised me.
During the entire time I was there business was good enough to keep six people busy with a steady stream of customers coming and going. The pace was steady and the mood of the staff cooperative rather than the frenzied, and tense, atmosphere you find at a lot of other fast food establishments. The first person I talked to was employee Kelli Bias who was gracious enough to give me some of her time after her shift ended to talk about her experience at Mugs Up.

Kelli explained she has been working at Mugs Up for eleven years. She said, "I love the job. The bosses are great and we are like a family." She explained that she has two daughters who work at the restaurant and a sister who has worked at Mugs Up for thirty years on and off who currently still comes in on part time basis.

Kelli also told me that the restaurant had been open since 1955 when it was established by Ray Kewley. The first location was right on the business loop where it operated until 1969 when the original building was moved back to the present location. Since then the business has passed onto Larry and Kay Kewley who are now the owners and are still active in running and working at the establishment. Their son Brandon is the current manager and was on duty when I was there.


My Dad actually worked on the steel structure for this building as an ornamental iron worker for Riback Industries a now defunct steel fabrication business in Columbia. It was one of Riback's first jobs after that business opened. You can see the round orange steel supports in this picture as well as in some of the other images.
The Menu! Reasonable prices and great tasting food.
I remember these trays from when I was growing up. They still use a damp washcloth on the bottom of the tray!
I was intrigued by the trays. These mesh plastic covered trays are the original ones that have been in use since Mugs Up opened. The "Serv-a-car product was manufactured by the SAC corporation in Parsons, Kansas which is still in operation but is now known as the Advanced Plastic Coatings Services, Inc.
An order about ready to go to the car.
The finished order ready to go with drinks and fries added:
The order delivered to Jenifer and her family who are longtime regulars at Mugs Up. Evidently the restaurant not only has loyal employees but loyal customers, like Jennifer and her family along with my own mom, who keep coming back.
Brandon Kewley and one of his employees. Brandon is the son of the current owners, is the current manager, and has been working at Mugs Up since he was 12 years old.

The food, the old-fashioned drive-in atmosphere, the longevity of the business as well as the loyalty of the employees all combine to make this a fascinating story. The restaurant business can be brutal but the Kewley family have found a recipe for success which has lasted through three generations. There is a lot to admire there. I am still investigating but Mugs Up may be the longest continuously running restourant in Columbia depending on how you categorize Booches which has been open since 1884. If there is one that has been open longer I would like to hear about it.

Mugs Up closes during the harder winter months and manager Brandon Kewley said they expect to stay open this year sometime into November. If you have not visited Mugs Up I highly recommend it.

Located just off Business Loop 70 on 603 Orange Street, the establishment is just far enough back that you may miss it when you drive by. So, I decided to include a map to help you find it:


View Larger Map

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Best Chili Cheese Dogs with onions you'll find anywhere! I wish I had the recipe! If you haven't tried them, you need to drop by for a taste!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Best Chili Cheese Dogs with onions you'll find anywhere! I wish I had the recipe! If you haven't tried them, you need to drop by for a taste!