] Around Columbia: Pinnacles Youth Park in Northern Boone County

Monday, June 8, 2009

Pinnacles Youth Park in Northern Boone County

Heading north on Highway 63 about eleven miles outside of Columbia, located about a mile east on a well marked access road, is the 27 acre Pinnacles Youth Park. The Missouri Department of Conservation has a compact but extremely informative page on this natural area which is highly recommended.

It was the site of a recent family outing. After realizing I had been neglectful by not taking my two youngest children to this very attractive area I decided to do so last Sunday afternoon. When we were making plans my oldest daughter informed me she did not remember having ever visited either so she came along with us. It may be well over twenty years since I visited it myself. I also decided to do a photographic survey of the grounds as well as the more scenic vistas.





The Bluffs

These are the bluffs which have been the scene of much mischief (foolishly alcohol related) as well as injuries and if the rumors are true even two deaths. Missouri rock is not good for climbing. I know my own brother broke his ankle here and when I worked at a group home one of the residents badly hurt her ankle at an outing climbing the bluffs pictured below.









Not all of the area is bounded with the scenic bluffs.



There are several well maintained lanes for hiking along the bank on the west side of the creek with various paths leading down to the water. Bring bug spray. The bluffs are all on the other side and you have to cross the creek to get to them.




This is what is known as switch cane (Arundinaria gigantea tecta see: http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2002/10/30.htm)

The Overhang

I do not know what else to call it. This is the most interesting feature. It is an overhang created by the water during heavy rains when the area becomes flooded. This is about a quarter mile, maybe less, from the main area and I do not recall having visited this part of the nature area before. I think many people overlook it but it is well worth the walk. There were no bats, at least none that I saw, under the overhang but there were plenty of swallows.







Amenities

There is a bathroom and a large main shelter at the entryway where the parking lot is located.



There are also several smaller shelters.



Links

http://mdc.mo.gov/areas/natareas/p29-1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia,_Missouri

http://www.visitcolumbiamo.com/web/things_to_do/gardens.php

1 comment:

Dee said...

Lovely pictures.
Plant pictured is actually a different native plant: Equisetum spp - horsetails or scouring rush